This is an easy and fool proof Classic Chocolate Cake recipe, not too fudgy, but perfectly moist, light and fluffy with a soft sturdy crumb and perfect cake layers, all slathered in a creamy chocolate buttercream!
Prep time: 10-15 mins
Bake Time: 30-35 mins
Makes: Serves 7-8
For the cake: Double the ingredients if you want to bake a two layer cake
· 1 + ½ cups maida (all purpose flour)
· ¾ cups cocoa powder
· ½ tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp baking powder
· ¾ cup oil or butter
· 1 + ½ cups castor sugar
· 1 cup Greek yogurt
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· ½ cup milk
· 1 tsp white vinegar
· a pinch of salt
For the Buttercream Frosting: Double the ingredients if you want to bake a two layer cake
· 1 ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
· 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
· ¾ cup unsweetened natural or dutch-process cocoa powder
· 4 tablespoons heavy cream
· 4 tablespoon melted chocolate
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180*C.
2. Line an 8" cake round pan with parchment paper
3. Add vinegar to the milk and keep aside for 6-7 minutes
4. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat together oil/ butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and light
5. Add yogurt and mix well
6. Beat in vanilla using mixer at low
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternating with the milk and vinegar mixture
8. Mix only until well combined. Don't over mix.
9. Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 180*C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
For the frosting:
1. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy – about 2 minutes.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, ½ heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 1 full minute.
3. Add remaining cream and melted chocolate and beat for a few seconds more
4. Add 1/4 cup more confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder if frosting is too thin or another Tablespoon of cream if frosting is too thick.
For the assembly:
1. Once the cake completely cooled, using a spatula, top the cake with the rich frosting
2. Smoothen it with a cake spatula
3. Top it with strawberries and chocolate shavings, you can also top it with chocolate chips and nuts