Samosa is hands down the best Indian snack. But one bite of this exciting deep fried snack brings with it a whole lot of guilt. To counter the negative and only enjoy the positives this recipe involves baking the samosa instead of deep frying it.
Store bought patti samosa sheets are your best friend if you want homemade samosas and want an easy recipe that takes less time. Spiced soya granules and cubed potatoes encased in a crispy samosa covering served with a tangy, sweet and spicy sauce, this recipe is love at first bite!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
• 1 ½ cup soya granules
• 1 ½ tbsp. oil
• ½ cup chopped onions
• 1 cup finely cubed potatoes
• ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
• ½ tsp. jeera (cumin) powder
• 1 tsp. red chili powder
• ½ tsp turmeric
• Salt to taste
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 2 tbsp. tomato ketchup
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh green chilies
• ¼ cup green peas
• 12-14 samosa patti sheets
• Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add 1 teaspoon salt and soya granules into hot water. Let the soy granules submerge fully and rest in hot water for about 12 to 15 minutes.
• Once soaked and soft, drain the water and keep the soya granules aside. If using fresh green peas, blanch them until they get cooked. Drain and keep aside.
1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a kadhai
2. Fry chopped onions
3. Add ginger garlic paste
4. Fry till the onions are translucent
5. Add the cubed potatoes
6. Fry till the excess moisture evaporates
7. Add salt, jeera powder, red chilli powder, turmeric
8. Sauté for 3-4 minutes
9. Add finely chopped fresh green chilies
10. Sauté for another minute
11. Add tomato ketchup and sauté till the potatoes are almost cooked
12. Add soaked soya granules (please see note above on preparing the soya)
13. Mix well and let it cook for a minute
14. Add green peas and a pinch of garam masala
15. Cover and cook for 5 minutes
16. Turn off heat and let it cool
17. Put 1 ½ tbsp of mixture on to samosa patti and bind it with water.
18. Arrange them on a lined baking tray. Brush them with oil.
19. Bake them in a preheated oven at 200*C for 15 mins.
20. Remove & serve hot immediately with ketchup.