While it has been observed that the percentage of directorships held by women in the Nifty 500 companies has increased to 17 per cent in December 2020 as opposed to 6 per cent in March 2014, however, a mere 11 per cent constitute executive positions, as per a report in Financial Express.
Also it should be noticed that of the total number of women executive directors, only 31 per cent were professional EDs. The remaining 69 per cent belonged to the promoter group or were representatives of the promoters.
To talk of the percentage of board directors, the same report revealed that roughly 27 per cent of the companies have a representation 20-29 per cent of women on their boards. No denying, this does convey that corporate India has gradually moved towards welcoming more female directors on their boards, but in 2020, only five companies had 50 per cent or more women representation on their boards.
In the coming days, experts suggest, women should be mentored to take the lead and grow in their careers. Also, several women helming start-ups is indicative of their high potential, which hasn’t been completely tapped.
*Images for representational purposes only.