Strawberry Tea Cake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook & Assembly time: 40 minutes
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
• ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon strawberry/vanilla extract
• ½ cup milk
• About 1 ½ cup strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a hand held electric mixer, beat butter and ¾ cup of sugar until pale and fluffy
4. Add the eggs, strawberry/ vanilla extract and beat on low speed until well combined.
5. Now gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, and beat on low speed until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl at regular intervals, using a spatula.
6. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
7. Arrange the strawberries on top, halved side down.
8. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the strawberries.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake is lightly golden and the toothpick test comes out clean.
10. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan and onto the rack
11. Let it cool further before cutting into it.