This creamy, golden, melt-in-your-mouth sweet treat is one of my favourite sweetmeats to binge on during Ganesh Chaturthi. One of the easiest recipes, Besan Ke Laddoo is made with just three ingredients - besan (gram flour), sugar and ghee. Slow-roasted besan mixed with dollops of ghee, fill up the entire house with heavenly irresistible aromas. We couldn't wait to lay our hands on the finished dish!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40-45 minutes
Makes: 12 medium-sized laddoos
· 200 grams besan (gram flour)
· ¾ cup Ghee
· ¾ cup powdered sugar, lump-free
· 10 to 12 cashews – halved
1. Dry roast the besan on medium heat in a heavy bottom kadhai for 15 minutes, keep on stirring so that the besan cooks evenly and does not burn.
2. Add ghee, mix well and continue roasting the besan for another 15 -20 minutes on medium heat, stirring continuously
3. The mixture will now start releasing ghee and will give out a nice fragrant nutty aroma. There will also be some ghee floating above the mixture. These are signs that the besan is now fully cooked.
4. Remove the pan from heat and immediately add powdered sugar.
5. Mix this with a sturdy spatula with all your strength till the powdered sugar melts in the roasted besan and ghee mixture and no lumps remain.
6. Set aside and let it cool down to room temperature.
7. Now, refrigerate for 10 minutes
8. When cooled, make medium-sized laddoos If you are not able to shape the mixture into laddoos then put it in the freezer for 5 minutes and then shape them
9. Serve Besan Ke Laddoo garnished with halved cashew nuts.
Note: You can store Besan Ke Laddoo in an air-tight container at room temperature for a month.