BABY POTATOES AND GREEN BEAN CURRY
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30-35 mins
Serves: 5-6 people
1. 1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2. 1 large onion finely chopped
3. 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
4. 1 inch ginger finely chopped
5. 1 kg baby potatoes, leave the potato skin on (you can also use regular potatoes but cut them into bite sized chunks.
6. 1 teaspoon cumin powder
7. 1 teaspoon coriander powder
8. ½ teaspoon red chili powder
9. ½ tablespoon turmeric
10. 2 cups water
11. 500 gms fresh green beans chopped into bite sized pieces
12. 400 ml coconut milk full
13. 1 tablespoon sugar
14. Coriander leaves for garnish
15. Salt & pepper to taste
• In the very beginning poke small holes in the potatoes with a fork and keep aside.
• In a shallow pan over medium heat, add a 1 tablespoons oil and sauté the onions, once translucent, add 2 tablespoons of water to prevent it from crisping up or burning
• Add the garlic, ginger and the other spices including turmeric and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
• Add in the potatoes, cover and cook on medium heat, until the potatoes are cooked through. Stir the potatoes at frequent intervals. The potatoes should take around 15 minutes to turn tender.
• When the potatoes are fully cooked, at a low to medium heat add the green beans then add the coconut milk. Give it a good stir.
• Now increase the heat to medium and add the sugar.
• Give it a quick mix, cover and let the beans cook for 10 minutes.
• Now the most important step, seasoning! Add salt and pepper according to your palette; I usually add 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
• Cook for another 5 minutes and once your beans are done it is ready!
• Serve with steamed rice!