The Coronavirus pandemic had a detrimental effect on economies around the world. As businesses shrunk and consumer demands changed, several employees bore the brunt in the form of pay cuts and layoffs. In the context, small businesses continue to struggle to stay afloat with various restrictions hampering distribution. However, a few Bollywood celebrities have taken up the cause and are offering complete support to local brands by encouraging purchases.
1. Priyanka Chopra Jonas: The global icon encouraged citizens to support homegrown labels as that is the need of the hour. Alongside a video, she gave a shout out to local names and wrote, “I’m making a small start today by supporting a few businesses run by inspiring women. These brands have been impacted by the pandemic and my hope is that we can help give them and their businesses a boost.”
She named Swara - Voice of Women, a handcrafted clothing label that employs women tailors in Rajasthan; I Am Rural, a young social enterprise making accessories; Happythreads BySupermoms, that makes crochet products, Okhai and Sura Kanavu, both of which help tribal female artisans earn their own livelihood, as some of her favourites.
2. Sonam Kapoor Ahuja: On National Handloom Day, Kapoor took to social media to offer a glimpse of Indian artisans who help sustain India’s rich heritage. Alongside a series of pictures, she wrote, “Celebrating National Handloom Day by taking a look at how diverse and vibrant Indian craftsmanship truly is. In trying times like these, let’s lend our support to the artisans in India’s Textile Industry who are constantly weaving magic and sustaining India’s rich cultural heritage!”
3. Vidya Balan: The actor donned her trademark sarees made by local brands during the e-promotions of her last release, Shakuntala Devi. In one post, she wrote, “This @nadiyapaar saree, handwoven in Bhagalpur has hand drawn oleander flower motif printed on gauzy linen. The sari is inspired by the designers’ childhood memories of collecting these flowers to make garlands. #VocalforLocal is mixing nostalgia with one’s own heritage.”
In another post, she said, “On #IndependenceDay celebrate the unity in diversity of Indian Silks from Assam to Gujarat and Jammu & Kashmir to Tamil Nadu.Lets encourage and embrace the treasure trove of Indian Silks. #Vocal4Handmade #IWearPureSilkHandloom #AlwaysBuyPureSilk.”
4. Dia Mirza: The Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein actor has often spoken about the importance of preserving the environment and all things homegrown. She urged people to lend support to the weavers of India. “Our weavers need all our support and love! This #NationalHandloomDay let's celebrate the rich legacy of our Indian weaves and textiles. I am proud of this rich heritage of India and of our weavers who have kept our traditions alive. There is nothing like a handloom saree. #NationalHandloomDay2020 #VocalForLocal.”
5. Kangana Ranaut: Ranaut has been a strong supporter of all things local, and has often spread awareness about the hardships the artists in India go through. Through her team, the actor shared the importance of choosing handloom over any other fabric. “Most of us have more than we can consume, Fashion industry has become one of the most damaging industries for our environment, new challenges call for new resolves, let’s promote our own Indian organic fabric industries and preserve the planet #NationalHandloomDay,” a tweet read.
In another tweet, the Queen star wrote, “When we choose Handloom we choose to elevate our poor weavers out of poverty, we choose vocal for local, we choose our Mother Earth, we choose love for every single being on this planet.”